Disclosure: This is a sponsored post.
My daughter has really been into all things pickled these days. Asparagus, garlic, green beans... anything that she can find jarred and pickled at the grocers, in the cart it goes. She's been playing around with adding her own ingredients to the jars and letting them marinate for a few days as well. Sort of a mini recipe creating experiment when she has the time. She did mention at one point that we should make our own pickles this summer, and I happened to remember that I saw a recipe on Golden Blossom Honey once for Fresh Summer Pickles. I never saved it or gave it much thought though because I always had it in my head that it was probably something that was going to be too much effort, but that couldn't be further from the truth.
I was actually surprised at how easy and cheap it is to make your own homemade pickles. Especially because they are so expensive at the craft fairs that I've seen pickle vendors selling, and these turned out just as good as theirs. If you were able to grow your own cucumbers this year, that especially helps cut down the cost. Also, you can get a jar of pickling spice at the grocery store that has all of the necessary spices listed here instead of spending money on several different spice jars that you may or may not use again. These pickles tasted a bit tangy and sweet, but had a distinctive tartness to them as well. I prefer a more sweet pickle though, so next time I'll only use 3 cups of vinegar cut with 1 cup of water to reduce some of that tartness. If you have some extra cucumbers from your garden this year, I'd highly recommend using them to make your own homemade pickles for a fun and inexpensive snack.
Ingredients
Brine:
4 cups distilled white vinegar
6 tablespoons GOLDEN BLOSSOM HONEY
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
Pickles;
2 seedless cucumbers, unpeeld, washed and scrubbed
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
several springs fresh dill leaves
If
you like this recipe, be sure to come back every Friday, where I
feature a new recipe from Golden Blossom Honey, and be sure to Pin It on Pinterest!
Have you ever made homemade pickles?


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comments! I appreciate every one of them :) Except promotional posts with added links. Those will be deleted.